We understand that you and your camper might be a little nervous about being away from each other. Here are some ways you can help your first-time camper prepare:
- Camp is like a family, and campers live and experience Watia through their cabin unit. Cabins are determined by grade/gender and are led by passionate and caring role models.
- Go over the schedule, packing list, and camper forms together.
- Reassure them that their nervousness, anxiety, and/or excitement is completely normal and that you are proud of them for trying something new.
- Explain homesickness and reassure them again that things will be OK and that you are proud of them. Homesickness is a normal part of growing up and being away from home, and is common at camp.
- Our staff are well trained to help support campers during the week and help guide them through any tough times.
- Have them create a list of any questions that will help them understand their experience. Feel free to send us that list.
- Explain sleeping and shower arrangements.
- Cabins are bunk bed style and there can be 10-14 kids in a cabin.
- Campers help clean up the cabin, make their bed, and keep their belongings organized.
- Showers and bathroom stalls have private changing areas and stall doors. Campers are encouraged to shower daily because of all the fun we have during the day!
- Campers staying for back-to-back sessions will be able to do laundry on the weekends so you don’t have to pack as much.
- Write to your camper while at camp. You can even bring letters at check-in and mark on the envelope what day you want the letter/package delivered. Drop off your letters at the camp store.
- Campers are required to leave their electronic devices at home but can receive one-way emails through our parent email system at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Forms and documents
- Login to your CampInTouch account to complete health forms.
- Please upload a recent photo of your child to their account.
- Packing lists for traditional camp and teen leadership programs
- Watia Adventure Travel Trips packing list