YMCA Camp Watia offers a variety of ways for your camper to explore new interests and hobbies that they might not have access to at home or school.
These activities help campers:
- challenge themselves and learn new skills that can boost their confidence and self-esteem
- have fun and make new friends with other campers who share their passions
- enjoy a variety of experiences that can enrich their summer and create lasting memories
To add one or more of these activities to your camper’s stay, choose them during the enrollment process.
Are you looking to extend your camper’s Watia experience? Campers staying for consecutive weeks can take advantage of our Super Stayover Weekends! For just $80, your camper can take advantage of all that camp has the offer in a smaller community.
The stayover weekend is included in Session 3 (two-week session). There is not a stayover weekend available July 5-7, 2024.
Is your camper interested in the adventure of a trail ride? Our horseback riding program offers the opportunity to explore the Nantahala National Forest under the supervision of our trusty trail guides and camp staff.
Campers will participate in two one-hour trail rides and one hour of "barn lessons." We partner with Nantahala Village Riding Stables for our horseback riding trips. All ages.
Campers and staff will experience the rush of Class II and Class III whitewater rapids on two half-day trips down the Nantahala River. On the first trip, your child will be in a guided raft. The next day they have the option of a guided raft or a two-person inflatable kayak. For 5th grade and up.
This program offers campers in grades 7-10 the opportunity to experience wilderness treks, expand their comfort zones, and grow in vital leadership skills.
Our 2024 trips include:
- Whitewater rafting on the Ocoee River
- Paddleboarding on Lake Ocoee
- Zipline canopy tour
- Hiking and exploring in Joyce Kilmer National Forest
- Tent camping in two beautiful locations
Campers will live and work as a strong team to set up and manage camp, handle daily cooking and cleaning duties, and take on other camping responsibilities.
Our exceptional trip leaders are Camp Watia staff who have earned the proper American Camping Association safety standard certifications for leading trips off-site, including Wilderness First Responder. Campsites have been selected for their safety, location, and access to bathrooms/showers.
Sample trip schedule
- Sunday: Arrive at Camp Watia, prepare for the trip, get training
- Monday: Depart camp, set up the campsite, go whitewater rafting
- Tuesday: Take zipline canopy tour and go paddleboarding
- Wednesday: Depart for Joyce Kilmer, set up the campsite, go exploring
- Thursday: Hike and explore in Joyce Kilmer National Forest
- Friday: Pack up camp and depart for Camp Watia
Watia Adventures A: June 9-14, 2024
Watia Adventures B: June 16-21, 2024
Cost per session: $995
Contact Shannon Raab if you have any questions about Watia Adventures.