Update as of 6/5/2021
Summer 2021 kicks off in only a few days, and we couldn't be more excited! We're working hard to ensure a safe, healthy experience for our campers and staff. We wanted to take a moment and update you on all things Watia.
I acknowledge this is a lengthy email. Please take your time to review this important information and share it with your camper.
Summer 2021 Updates and Reminders
- Cabins and villages will operate as cohorts and neighborhoods. Campers will do most of their activities this summer as a cabin group.
- Increased hand washing, sanitizing, and cleaning will be part of the new camp norm.
- Our meal/dining hall setup will look a little different, but we can eat as an entire camp family. The six youngest cabins will be eating inside the Glass Lodge. The four oldest cabins will be eating on the lodge porch under the newly installed ceiling fans. (They have been a big hit with the staff this week!)
Masks at Camp
- Masks will play an important role at camp this summer. When campers and staff are only with their cohort- they do not have to wear a mask. Masks will not be worn during swimming, sleeping, showering, or while eating/drinking.
- Masks will be required for all campers and staff when sharing an area with others outside their cohort. Some examples are entering the dining hall, flag-raising, or waiting outside the shower house for the next cabin to finish.
- Please send at least 4 double-layered cloth masks with your campers. We will ask them to wear one and carry one in their bag. We will also be washing masks throughout the week. *Buffs or other single-layered masks are not allowed.*
- Campers who are not fully vaccinated are required to take a COVID PCR test no more than 72 hours before their arrival. We also ask that they quarantine between their test and check-in. Please be prepared to show proof of your camper's negative test during the check-in process. If you live in the Asheville area, you can schedule a salvia PCR test with our lab partners at CommunityLabs WNC (https://communitylabwnc.com/home/camp-watia).
- **NEW** Campers who are fully vaccinated (2 weeks after their second shot) no longer need to obtain a PCR test or quarantine before their arrival. They will be asked to follow the same mask guidance as everybody else. Please upload their COVID vaccine card to their CampInTouch account or have it ready to share at check-in.
Check-In and Check-Out
As we have shared before, check-in and check-out will be a drive-thru process this summer, along with assigned arrival times. You can download a check-in and check-out map here.
Check-In Times (by the first letter of camper's last name)
- A-G: 1:00 pm- 1:45 pm
- H-N: 1:45 pm-2:30 pm
- O-Z: 2:30 pm- 3:15 pm
Check-Out Times (by the first letter of camper's last name)
- A-G: 5:45 pm - 6:15 pm
- H-N: 6:15 pm - 6:45 pm
- O-Z: 6:45 pm - 7:15 pm
Please remember to complete your camper's forms at least 10 days prior to their arrival.
- Health Form
- Camper Immunizations (upload a copy)
- Camper Profile
- Camper Photo
- COVID Vaccination Card (upload a copy)
- Camper Packing List
Watch our latest Virtual Open House and learn more about the latest updates.
Thank you for reading this long message in its entirety! Our highest priority is protecting our campers, staff, and community. With your help, we can make this the best summer ever!